I am not a programmer, so be gentle with me (which means, don’t laugh). I have been playing around with Visual Basic 2010 Express a little and decided to try my hand at making the file2folder script a real application. I thought it would be a very good project to learn with since it has quite a few possibilities…all of which I hope I can implement over time.
As of now, it’s very simple and very small. It doesn’t do much more than the original script, but I think you’ll appreciate the differences. Here is what it has so far:
- A GUI, of course.
- Directory browsing so you don’t have to put a copy in every folder you want to process. Browse or enter your location and run.
- UNC pathnames are now supported! Yes, for those of you who had the script screw up a system due to running it against a network share, no more worries.
- A progress bar to show you, well, its progress :)
- Standalone application, so no installation is necessary. Put it anywhere that’s convenient.
Since I am very much a beginner, bugs will probably exist. I used it as much as I could and didn’t find anything that actually crashed it, but I’m sure there is a nuance or two that can be fixed or improved.
What I plan to add over the next days/weeks/months (depending on whether or not I don’t stress out over this stuff):
- Recurse option for processing subdirectories.
- Undo option in case you want to roll back the changes.
- Optional text output of files processed.
- Associated/specific file handling.
- Multi-part movie file handling.
- Your suggestions.
Well, that’s about it. Like I said, you will probably find a bug or two that I did not, but typical use should treat you well. Enjoy!
v1.0 download is available in the downloads section…or, download directly from here.
If you were one of the first few that downloaded this and it would not run for you, please download again. The initial package was compiled under .Net 4.0. The current download is compiled under .Net 3.5.